Try one of the Colour Me Happy top 10 recommended autumn walks:
1. Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire – the walk around Symonds Yat is rewarding at any time of year but the colours of autumn are extra special. Our cabins at Forest of Dean are on the doorstep.
2. Grizedale, Cumbria – in the heart of the Lake District; it is worth making an effort to climb to the top of Carron Crag, where the views are breath-taking.
3. Westonbirt, Gloucestershire – the autumn highlight is the fiery red of the Japanese maples. Westonbirt is just over an hour's drive from our Forest of Dean cabins.
4. Delamere, Cheshire – enjoy the soft golden and copper landscape reflected on Blakemere Lake.
5. Bedgebury, Kent – although famous for it’s evergreen 'pinetum', autumn does come to Bedgebury as the giant Dawn Redwoods and Swamp Cypress trees burst into colour.
6. Hamsterley, Durham – follow the 2.5 mile trail through this 2000 acre forest for an unforgettable autumn walk.
7. Salcey, Northamptonshire – an ancient woodland, vivid with autumn colours; follow the Church Path trail and admire the view from the Tree Top way.
8. Wyre, Worcestershire – the largest ancient woodland in England, Wyre Forest's oaks create a picture of the quintessentially English autumn.
9. Alice Holt, Surrey – an easy drive from our cabins at Blackwood Forest, Alice Holt’s mix of native trees put on a riotous display of colour for your autumn walk.
10. New Forest, Hampshire – also within striking distance of Blackwood Forest, the Tall Trees trail in the New Forest has one of the finest autumnal displays in the UK.
Visit Forestry Commission England's website for more information about the best walks to take in these beautiful forests, complete with route maps.
The Forestry Commission Scotland's website has lots of ideas for autumn walks and activities too. Stay at Strathyre and try the Waterfall Trail in the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park or from Ardgartan Argyll head for Glenbranter in the Argyll Forest Park.