Wondering where to take the family for the May half term holiday? Make yourself the most popular parent in the world and head for Forest Holidays - because over Whitsun we’re going Gruffalo crazy.
The Gruffalo is one of the best-loved monsters in the world – and he’s coming to a forest near you. This charming story by Julia Donaldson, with illustrations by Axel Scheffler, delights children and adults alike and it’s no surprise to find out it has been voted the UK’s favourite bedtime story. We’ll bet it’s one of your favourites for reading to the children as much as it’s one of theirs.
Throughout the summer months at Forest Holidays, we’ll be celebrating 15 years of The Gruffalo with the help of the Forestry Commission, who have a full programme of activities and events. All our forest locations are close to the action and we’re having our own fun-filled Gruffalo week over Whitsun too. Come and join in, bringing this lovely story to life for your little ones.
Whitsun week Gruffalo games
Peak Gruffalo funtime at Forest Holidays is the Whitsun holiday, from 23rd May to 1st June when, in addition to the Forestry Commission activities, we’re going Gruffalo crazy across every one of our nine locations! To make things extra special we’re giving away free 7" Gruffalo cuddly toys (RRP £9.99) to every child that stays with us. And our ‘Young Explorers’ Forest Ranger experience will be Gruffalo themed during Whitsun too. If you have any little Gruffalo fans in the house, you won’t want to miss our Whitsun week of activities.
There are Gruffalo activities and events happening throughout the year, all around the country. Here are some of the highlights;
- April to Sept: Gruffalo forest activity trails
- 23rd May – 1st June: Gruffalo fun week at Forest Holiday locations
- Saturday 7th June: Gruffalo's birthday party picnic in a forest near you
- From Saturday 7th June: Giant wooden Gruffalo carvings unveiled in forests around the country
- From Friday 3rd October: The Gruffalo’s child activity trails take over for the winter
For more information head over to the Forestry Commission website and Forest Holidays main website.
Gruffalo Trails by day, hot tub under the stars by night
After a day of Gruffalo entertainment and, dare we say, education for the children, mum and dad might be ready for something a little more relaxing in the evening. That’s where our cosy forest cabins kick in. Order your pizzas from the Forest Retreat, then settle the kids down with their new Gruffalo cuddly toys. Now sink into the hot tub and, as you gaze at the stars above, reflect on a happy family day on the trail of the Gruffalo.
The Forestry Commission is leading Gruffalo trails in the following forests, near to Forest Holiday locations:
- Dalby Forest, Yorkshire, near our Keldy and Cropton locations
- Beechenhurst, Gloucestershire, near our Forest of Dean location
- High Lodge, Thetford Forest, Suffolk, near our Thorpe Forest location
- Alice Holt, Surrey, near our Blackwood Forest location
- Sherwood Pines, Nottingham, walkable from our Sherwood Forest location
- Haldon Forest Park, Exeter, about an hour from our Deerpark location
Our holidays are perfect for children of all ages and, with the added excitement of the Gruffalo, your children will be in heaven. Book a cabin over Whitsun for a special, memorable family holiday.
All was quiet in the deep, dark wood. A mouse saw a nut and the nut looked good…..
Did you know?
- Julia Donaldson, author of the Gruffalo, based the story on a Chinese tale with a little girl and a hungry tiger. She couldn’t think of much to rhyme with tiger and thus the Gruffalo, to rhyme with “doesn’t he know”, was born.
- The Gruffalo has been translated into over fifty languages, including Thai, Russian, Scots, Maori and even Latin.