We love summer here at Forest Holidays and not just because it’s the perfect time for a forest break. The day trips to the beach, the warming summer breeze, and the chance to spend time with family and friends are just a few reasons to fall in love with this season. Read on for 30 reasons why we love summer!
1. The warm weather. Waking up to the sunlight glistening through the trees or streaming in the window instantly energises you for the day ahead.
2. Picnics. Definitely one of the best ways to enjoy the sun with your family and friends.
3. Blue skies. When blue skies appear you know that summer is here! Gazing up at pure blue skies instantly soothes the soul…
4. Trips to the beach. There are some magnificent beaches to visit around the UK and what is better than spending a day paddling in the sea, building sandcastles, and enjoying some of the best fish and chips you can buy!
5. Swimming in the sea. Nothing beats dipping your feet into the sea for the first time that year and instantly feeling relaxed – and it’s even better when your four-legged family members can join in the fun too! Take a look at our selection of the top 10 dog-friendly beaches around our locations.
6. Barbecues! The smell of burgers, hot dogs, and steaks that come from a barbecue is one of the best summer experiences! The flavour gives you a perfect taste of one of the best seasons. Opt for a Golden Oak cabin, fire up the gas barbecue, and get cooking!
7. Ice cream. Whether you are a fan of Ben and Jerry’s or you love the classic Mr. Whippy, both taste so much nicer when the sun is shining.
8. Time off school for the kids. This means the kids can relax and that families can catch up on some well-deserved time together.
9. The clothing. Swap your winter coats and woolly hats for flip flops, sunglasses, and shorts!
10. Longer days. Taking advantage of the lighter evenings means that there is more time to spend with your loved ones or trying something new.
11. The enjoyment of the great outdoors. There is so much to explore when we get the chance to step outside and take in the summer sun. Discover the secrets of the forest with one of our Forest Rangers or take on a new kind of challenge. There is so much on offer in the outdoors that we didn’t realise existed!
12. Wildlife and nature. We get the chance to see butterflies, birds and animals in their full glory. The forests are packed full of flowers and plants in full bloom. There are also a multitude of animals to see wandering in their own habitats.
13. Water sports and outdoor adventures. From canoeing to paddle boarding there is so much to enjoy on the water when the sun is shining.
14. Travelling. Summer is the best time to go on holiday since you can enjoy it with all your family and friends. Wherever you’re going you’ll always find new adventures and places to explore.
15. Family day trips. Whether this is to a theme park or a zoo, there is so much for families to explore in the summer!
16. Driving with the windows down. The summer breeze just makes you so much more relaxed.
17. The fruit. All our favourite fruits are in their prime season; from strawberries to pineapples, passion fruit to watermelons.
18. Summer drinks. From fresh fruit smoothies and cocktails to freshly-squeezed lemonade, there is something to quench everyone’s thirst.
19. Summer festivals and events. Summer is prime time for festivals and events because the weather instantly creates a much better and vibrant experience. There are a multitude of different festivals and events in the summer from the Download festival to Forest Live. There is something for everyone to get involved in. Find out what’s on this summer around our locations.
20. Long bike rides with friends and family. There are so many bike trails all over the UK and around our locations. Take to two wheels and enjoy stunning views and the summer atmosphere.
21. The chance to try something new. With summer being the season of endless possibilities, there are so many new adventures to try and places to explore.
22. Summer Solstice. 21 June marks this year’s longest day! Check out our guide on how to celebrate it here.
23. Hot tubs. With all our cabins offering a hot tub from July, what could be better than relaxing in bubbly bliss on a summers evening, surrounded by magnificent forest views.
24. Endless photo opportunities. When the sun glistens through the trees or sets over the seaside, there isn’t any better time to get that perfect photo you’ve been waiting for.
25. Father’s Day. 17 June is Father’s Day. Allowing families to come together and to give dad’s a well-deserved day off. What better way to do that than enjoying the summer sunshine?
26. The chance to relax. This is one of the main things that people love to do in the summer because you can’t beat relaxing in the summer sunshine. This isn’t something you can do all year round!
27. Two bank holidays! 6 August marks the bank holiday in Scotland and 27 August the one in England and Wales. Both days allow you to catch up with family and to enjoy a deserved day out or long weekend away.
28. Wimbledon. A British staple – need we say more?
29. Long walks in the sun with the family. With trails from the gentlest stroll to challenging terrain, pushchair friendly paths to wondrous rambles, no matter which you are looking for you’ll find a walking or hiking break to suit you.
30. Finally, lazy days in the sun just can’t be beaten!
What do you love most about summer? Let us know in he comments below!